What Causes Low Libido in Men?
A low sex drive can be the result of many factors, from medications to your mental health. Luckily, low libido is completely treatable. If you’re struggling, keep reading to learn more about what causes a low sex drive and what you can do about it.
5 Reasons Why You Might Be Experiencing Low Libido
Have you become disinterested in sex? This might be something brand new or an issue that’s been brewing for some time. Men can become disinterested in sex for a variety of reasons, including:
- Aging: Aging is one of the most common factors that affect sexual drive. As men age, their testosterone drops naturally each year. In general, testosterone starts to decline after the age of 30.
- Low testosterone: If you’re under the age of 50, there may be other causes of low libido instead of aging such as underlying health conditions.
- Certain medications: ACE inhibitors and beta-blockers used for blood pressure can impact your libido. Other medications such as anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs can also affect how you feel towards sex.
- Depression: With depression, it’s common to lose interest in the things you used to enjoy. One of those things might be sex.
- Sleep apnea: Men with sleep apnea, a condition that results in the stop/start of breathing during sleep, often experience lower levels of testosterone.
If left untreated, low libido can lead to a diminished sex life, anxiety, depression and erectile dysfunction. Luckily, there are treatment options available for you.
What Options Are Available for Low Libido Treatment?
First, it’s important to determine the cause of your low libido. Then, you and your healthcare provider can determine a course of action.
For example, if a certain medication is to blame, your doctor may provide recommendations for other medications that might work better for you. Your doctor can also help you treat underlying causes such as depression and sleep apnea.
If you believe low testosterone may be the cause of your low sex drive, we can help. We’ll start by testing your levels. If they’re lower than they should be, we can provide testosterone replacement therapy tailored to fit your needs.
Struggling With a Hormone Imbalance? We Can Help.
Tired of struggling with low libido? Want to improve your quality of life? Hormone replacement therapy might be an option for you. Reach out to the Balance Hormone Center team by calling us at 480-718-9960.