As much as our culture is youth-obsessed, it’s important to remember that aging is a natural process we all go through. And while there’s nothing wrong with this phase of life, it isn’t necessary to simply give up and succumb to age-related changes that may have you feeling fatigued and lethargic, less than sharp-minded and forgetful, or struggling with sexual concerns.
The more you know about anti-aging treatments, the better prepared you’ll be to combat those symptoms that take away from enjoying this season of your life.
A Natural Process
By the year 2030, the number of Baby Boomers—Americans born between 1946 and 1964—will reach 71.5 million. For all those people over the age of 65, aging is a natural process that is often filled with challenges. Physical, mental, and emotional changes can greatly impact a person’s outlook and enjoyment of their life. And while most of us aren’t shy about admitting we’d like to get rid of our wrinkles and those extra pounds, treating aging issues is about more than vanity.
For both men and women, hormone imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, life experiences, lifestyle choices, illness, medication, and even environmental factors can impact the way the body ages.
Many people over 65 may experience a wide range of age-related changes that extend beyond what is considered “normal aging,” and thus, are a cause for concern. For both men and women, those include:
- Fatigue: Different from sleepiness, fatigue is defined as a lack of energy with the need for extended periods of rest.
- Declining mental function: This includes memory loss, loss of focus, and the speed with which a person processes information. While gradual declines are normal, a more drastic onset of these declines should be thoroughly explored.
- Weight gain: As we age, our metabolism slows down and some weight gain is normal. However, weight gain despite a healthy diet and exercise can indicate a more serious problem.
- Loss of libido: While a gradual decrease in sex drive is normal, a complete loss of libido could be due to an underlying problem.
- Visible signs of aging: Skin loses elasticity and hair becomes more brittle as we age, while hair loss for both men and women is not uncommon. Nevertheless, dramatic skin aging or hair loss should be investigated.
Additional anti-aging issues for men may include:
- Erectile dysfunction: Most men will experience episodes of impotence at some point as they age. However, a persistent and on-going problem with ED may point to an underlying condition.
- Life-threatening diseases and conditions: These include heart disease, diabetes, problems with the prostate, and more.
Additional anti-aging issues for women may include:
- Debilitating menopause symptoms: Hot flashes, vaginal dryness, loss of bone density, night sweats and more are to be expected. However, if they are interfering with a woman’s life to the degree that she is unable to function or enjoy life, then examining causes and solutions is crucial.
For many of these issues, the fundamental cause is typically a hormonal imbalance. As such, it’s critical that men and women experiencing these conditions turn to a medical professional for testing, diagnosis, and treatment options.
A Natural Approach
If hormonal fluctuations or deficiencies are interfering with a person’s sense of wellness, the best approach to dealing with it is a natural one. But first, it’s important to receive an accurate diagnosis. Consulting with a medical professional is vital; you should be prepared for the following:
- A physical exam to ensure that basic organ function is normal and that there are no underlying conditions impacting wellness.
- Lab tests that measure the body’s levels of hormones.
A diagnosis of hormone deficiency should be addressed in the most holistic and natural way possible.
For both men and women suffering from “Low T” (low testosterone levels), the preferred course of treatment is Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Testosterone can be administered either through injection, patch, topical gel, pill, or implant. It’s important to talk with your physician about the form that best suits your needs and your lifestyle.
For women, reducing the discomfort of debilitating menopause symptoms can be addressed with Hormone Therapy or HT to restore hormone balance. This can be achieved with Estrogen Replacement Therapy (ERT) for women who have undergone hysterectomy or ERT with progesterone for women who still have their uterus. The use of bioidentical hormones is preferred as they act just like the hormones a woman naturally produces in her body.
HT can be administered in multiple forms, including nasal spray, pills, skin gel, patches, vaginal creams, or vaginal ring. Again, it’s important to discuss options with your doctor to determine the form that is most effective for you and best suits your lifestyle.
Aging Doesn’t Have to Be Devastating
Transitioning into a new phase of life doesn’t have to turn your world upside down. With proper diagnosis and treatment, issues with aging can be addressed successfully, ushering in what could be the best years of your life. The medical team at Balance Hormone Center specializes in helping men and women make the passage into their later years a smooth and easy one. What are you waiting for? Call 480-718-9960 or contact us online to schedule your appointment today.