Vitamin D is an essential nutrient your body requires to keep your body in balance. And while it is called a “vitamin,” it is actually a hormone your body creates.
You can get necessary doses of vitamin D by getting enough sun exposure every day. You can also take supplements and eat the few foods that are vitamin D-fortified. If you fail to take in enough vitamin D, you can find yourself facing one of any number of hormonal imbalances.
Signs of a Vitamin D Deficiency
If you are not taking in enough vitamin D, you will likely experience the following symptoms:
- Chronic pain
- Sleep problems (e.g., insomnia, sleep apnea)
- Decreased sex drive
Individuals most at risk for a D deficiency, and thus most at risk to suffer from these symptoms, are those who do not get enough sun exposure every day, pregnant women, aging individuals, people who live at high altitudes, people who are obese and people who have chronic diseases.
Risks of Vitamin D Deficiency
If left untreated, a vitamin D deficiency can lead to any of the following health conditions:
- Certain cancers
- Heart disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Periodontal disease
Hormonal Imbalances Caused by Vitamin D Deficiency
- Parathyroid hormone imbalance: Your parathyroid regulates your body’s ability to regulate calcium. Lower than necessary amounts of vitamin D can lead to your body’s failure to regulate calcium and cause an increase in parathyroid production.
- Pituitary imbalance: Individuals deficient in vitamin D are at greater risk for pituitary tumors, as low levels of vitamin D can lead to abnormal pituitary cell growth.
- Estrogen imbalance: A deficiency in vitamin D can lead to lower estrogen levels. Low estrogen can then lead to higher risk of osteoporosis, along with numerous other health problems.
- Testosterone imbalance: Vitamin D deficiency causes a decrease in testosterone production in men, which can lead to a whole host of health challenges.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Can Help
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is a safe and natural way to help return balance to your hormones. As experienced hormone replacement doctors, we know how to evaluate and treat patients with proven BHRT techniques. To learn how our services can benefit you—now and well into your future—call us today.
Turn to Our Team for Vitamin D Deficiency Treatment
Do not let a potential vitamin D deficiency go on for too long. At the first sign of concern, pick up the phone and call us. We can test your vitamin D levels and then create a natural, effective health plan tailored to your needs. Learn more by contacting our Gilbert, Arizona, medical spa today. Schedule an appointment online or call our office today at 480-718-9960.